GDevelop 5 new editor - Beta versions

Yes, this is what I head in mind too. People would subscribe only as long they need to export their project, definitely need additional features.

Unless you have an idea for a similar service, I’m really hope PlayerIO is among your experiments. I have just done my experiment which is ended with an online chat app made in GD (a very basic one):

I know it is not impressive, but I think it is demonstrate how easy and convenient to set this up with PlayerIO.
I’m sure many people would benefit from events to be able to talk to a PlayerIO server and even though the server code must be written in C# and compiled in to a dll in my opinion it would be possible to include a general purpose server code already compiled in to a dll to receive and broadcast position, scale, rotation…etc of selected objects and values of selected variables that people can upload to their PlayerIO game profile and done.
I was looking at many similar services but PlayerIO seems the most simple by far but still scaleable even for professional use. I plan to use it for my multiplayer game ideas I have but frankly even though it works with GD through the JS events, I’m not certain it would be an ideal way of doing it.

I decided to take my experiment further and make real time multiplayer but I’m getting this error message when I try to use Object linking

I don’t normally have a problem with object linking so the fact I’m using Javascript events might causing this error but I’m not sure how. I literally do nothing with objects and object linking in the JS events only talking with the PlayerIO server and I don’t edit the code0.js file after export. So, whatever the problem is it maybe something with the way GD compiling this file but I’m not sure if it something I did or is there anything I can do to avoid this error…

This is the code0.js coming from GD:
[attachment=0]code0.js[/attachment]

I would appreciate any help.

@ddabrahim Looks like a GD issue indeed. Can you send me your project?

Looks likethe linked objects extension was not included in your game.

Oh, I have solved the problem. In order to get the multiplayer working I always copy and replace the index.html to include PlayerIO instead of keep editing after each time I export. The one I was copy did not have the extension included :smiling_imp:

Sorry.

Hello everybody, I wonder if anyone of you experienced a problem I encountered after version beta13 (from 16 or higher).

I tried to work with GD5 on my current game project.
In version b13 preview and web export ran smoothly and fluid, and android/ios builds ran smoothly as well.
From b16 version to actual b25, preview, web export and cordova/phonegap export (once built for android/ios) are tremendously laggy. Jerky.

I know that render engine from b13 has been updated and I wonder if something in my project has become incompatible with it.
To be sure I tried to run a very light version of it with only my character running in a semi-desert platform.
A little better but still a little laggy.

Did you encountered this problem?
Please, try if you can. Open one of your old projects (one a little complex) and open it with both gd4 and gd5 and take a look to the previews.
Thank you all.

Hey everyone. I have been using Gdevelop off and on but keep switching back to Gamemaker Studios because I keep running into problems with my first game on GD. I am gonna complete it on Gamemaker Studio 2 but will start making my other 2d games with GD. I like GMS2 but it’s so dang expensive to get the other exports. I love GD and would like to keep it moving forward. Would love to be able to export 2 ps4 or XB. How much money is GD trying to average per month :question: Also can someone make a tutorial about external events :question: My 1st game is called Space Blitz’d. I replicated most of it on GD but moved back to GMS2. You can see a video of game play on my Instagram @ av8rgamez. I will be uploading a vid on youtube as well. Thanks

I’ve released GD5 beta 26 :mrgreen:

• A new raycast condition was made by Lizard-13 (a big thank you!!). It enables to easily create line-of-sight for enemies or things like lasers (see the updated “zombies and laser” example).
  • You can edit resources properties (in particular image smoothing) - no multiselection for now as I did this very quickly but I’ll add this later
  • There is a new preview button to launch a Preview over wifi (also called Preview on local network/Preview on LAN). It’s very simple to use: click on the button, enter the URL that you got on your mobile/tablet browser and try the preview instantly. There is also a live reload, meaning that when you click on the preview button again, all devices running the game will start it again :smiley:
  • I’ve added a splashscreen with the logo of GDevelop when a game starts. It’s very simple and I think it’s a fair deal for almost all users that use GDevelop freely :slight_smile: I think most of you are ok with it. If you don’t like it, you can get a subscription (even the indie one which is €2 per month) to be able to disable it.

The Preview over wifi is new and should be very useful. You can try it freely - the only thing is that I added a window asking you to get a subscription to support GDevelop development.
It won’t prevent the feature to be used (I took the model of softwares like Sublime Text - no DRM, nothing fancy, just an explanation window), so that you can try by yourself and judge if it’s worth a subscription (that also unlock one-click android export and the optional splashscreen).

Also I’m going to need help to document the Preview over wifi feature :smiley:

The splash screen is not enabled by default, I don’t need a subscription to export without splash.
The preview over wifi unfortunately doesn’t work for me it is just “waiting” and the game never get loaded on my device

I was having the same problem ddabrahim. You need to go into your firewall settings, and give GDevelop 5 permission to communicate over Private and/or Public depending on what type of network your on. That fixed it for me.

I did. It must be something else. I had the same problem with C2, the solution was to run it as admin maybe this is the case with GD too but I don’t normally run anything as admin.

Thanks anyway.

The preview over wifi is starting a tiny HTTP server so that may be the reason.
Not sure if I could detect this situation to display an error message.

You’re on Windows right? Will take a look

Yes.

Probably it is something on my end, don’t bother unless you think it important.

Thanks anyway.

hello, how to “save as”. I can’t click it.

and i like functions “minify and optimize” when export to web, please add it. :slight_smile:

“Save as” is currently… not yet implemented in GD5! But will add it soon!
Will also see for adding the other features.

I’ve been working on a few performances improvements for the editor that should speed-up the interface for large games.

I love whats coming.

However, I got a bit of a shock when I realized subscriptions were going to be integrated.

that said it is not a silly price.

Will the new version be made available on the main site soon?

It’s already available for download on the website :slight_smile: By the way I’m deploying a new version of the website :slight_smile:

Well I have subscribed with the hopes of a native version in GD5. I am still curious about networking as this is an important future feature. Is GD5 going to have networking support?

Hi guys, really excited about the new version :slight_smile:

Just a couple of questions.

Will version 5 overwrite the installation of version 4?

Will version 4 files still work in version 5?

Thanks

GDevelop 5 does not overwrite GD4.

To open your GD4 games inside GD5, you have to open GD4 and save your game file as .json file :slight_smile: I’ve written a help page here: wiki.compilgames.net/doku.php/gd … -4-project