Announcements, feedbacks and other discussions about GDevelop.
By 4ian
#62289 Hey,

As announced in a previous thread, I've been working on a new editor to replace in the future the current editor that is getting old.

Why a new editor?

The current editor is slowly becoming old and harder to maintain as the underlying technology is quite hard to get for new developers and not often updated.
The idea is to have a new editor that is:

-Built on web technologies, so usable on a desktop, tablet, maybe even mobile phones.
-Easier to understand and modify for external developers that want to contribute to GDevelop.
-Have a more simplified UI, easier to understand for new comers (based on "Material UI" components and guidelines by Google).
-Unifying GDevelop and GDevApp.
-Working on Windows, OS X, and every major version of Linux without having to do special work on my side or maintain tricky compatibility!

Try it

I was supposed to release it at the same time as the next version of GDevelop, but I think it may be a good idea to let you play a bit with it!
Download it from GitHub (https://github.com/4ian/GD/releases/tag/new-ide-beta1):

Windows : https://github.com/4ian/GD/releases/dow ... -beta1.exe
macOS : https://github.com/4ian/GD/releases/dow ... -beta1.dmg
Linux : https://github.com/4ian/GD/releases/dow ... ta1.tar.gz

Beware: you can only edit a game (saved in .json from GDevelop) or create a game from the Platformer example, and only the scene editor is working for now!
The whole editor is still in an early stage.

What about the current editor?

I've developed an update that will make the new editor available INSIDE the existing editor. Take a look:

What are the next steps?

I plan to continue improving the editor so that it is progressively able to replace the old editor.
I'll release a new GD version with improvements and the option to use the new IDE as the scene editor, like the previous screenshot :)

The Events editor is to be recreated inside the new IDE, and all the objects editor. Support for native games may be added later. I also plan to make the editor available online, replacing GDevApp :)

It's a good opportunity for me to simplify as much as possible GDevelop, and make the editors more straighforward/easier to use :D
I also plan to add features aiming to ease the publishing of a game. In this version, you can export your game to a free Amazon hosting in a single click! This can evolve in the future. I could also try to integrate the forum or chat in the editor later :)

Translations and auto-update should also be added later :lol:

How can I contribute?

If you know a bit of Javascript or want to learn, you can help to design components:
https://github.com/4ian/GD/blob/master/ ... components
By ddabrahim
#62298 It is looks really promising :)

Few thoughts:
Maybe it a stupid idea but it was my very first thought when I opened a project and I was looking at the available options.
Since the panels are slide in and out on the edge I think it might look better if we would have little tabs on the edges of screen to represent the panels and options instead of the traditional top panel menu. Would be also cool if we could drag and move the tabs around and position them anywhere on the edges and make the panels slide in and out by clicking on the tabs. So basically, replace the top panel as a whole and put all the options on draggable tabs on the edge of the screen.
If this idea with tabs is feasible and you think it something worth considering, I would also suggest to make the properties panel sliding panel too because being the only fixed panel on the screen just doesn't really fit in to the picture imo.

And a question:
When I choose export, it mention something about exporting and uploading my game to GDevelop game hosting.
So what is this "GDevelop game hosting" going to be?
Is it going to be something integrated with GDevApp, same hosting platform shared between the two or is it going to be GameDevShare reborn dedicated for GDevelop only or something else or nothing?
By 4ian
When I choose export, it mention something about exporting and uploading my game to GDevelop game hosting.
So what is this "GDevelop game hosting" going to be?

It was a quite experiment to see how I could offer a robust and scalable game hosting (it's 100% amazon powered and could host lots of games without any problem - and it's quite simple in the way it's done).
No real plan for this for now, I'll see later if this can evolve into something like GDevApp.
Traditional website export is still available of course :)

Since the panels are slide in and out on the edge I think it might look better if we would have little tabs on the edges of screen to represent the panels and options instead of the traditional top panel menu.

That could be cool indeed :) I'll have to take a look at this, not sure how this is feasible.

Would be also cool if we could drag and move the tabs around and position them anywhere on the edges and make the panels slide in and out by clicking on the tabs.

Yes, that's the goal! Even if for now only the properties panel is resizeable and not drag'n'droppable.

But in any case having a good and flexible interface for these different panels is one of the most challenging part - to keep something simple and flexible enough for advanced users.