Discuss about game jams where GDevelop games can be submitted. Check also this forum for game jams dedicated to games created with GDevelop!
Forum rules: Welcome on the game jam forum!

Remember that this forum is just for announcements and discussions about game jams: if you need help, please post in the Help for game creation forums.

Happy game jamming!
By ddabrahim
#69227 HI all!

I'm considering to launch a game jam on itch.io in 01.01.2019 but would like to know if would be there enough interest or not.

About the Jam:
Theme: "Be Creative"
Make your game in GDevelop 5.
You are free to use and remix any of the templates and examples included with GDevelop and shared at gametemplates.itch.io or use your original work.
The game must be uploaded to itch.io with full source under MIT license which means people are free to take and redistribute your game. Images and sounds can be included under a different license but need to be included with the source and the actual source must be free to all.
The game needs to be shared as an HTML game so people can try in the browser without need to download and install anything, obviously, source needs to be available for download from day 1.
The game must have a splash screen displaying it is made for the GameTemplates Jam, logo will be provided.
The splash screen also need to display it is made with GDevelop 5.
Until submission closed, games can be freely updated on itch.io with a proper dev vlog explaining what has changed since the initial submission.
After 30 days, the submission will be closed, no new submissions will be accepted and no updates will be allowed.
We allow 5 extra days (somewhere around a weekend included) for people to come , try and rate the games at itch.io.
After 5 days we announce the winners.
The winners will be chosen by taking into account the number of people rated the game divided by the average rating of the game.
So, in case someone got only 1 5 star rating it will be 1 / 5 = 0.2 and in case someone got 10 rating and 4 star average rating it will be 10 / 4 = 2.5.

Prizes:
1st = Any title from Steam in value 60USD or 40USD and 1 year GD subscription.
2nd = Any title from Steam in value 40USD or 20USD and 1 year GD subscription
3rd = Any title from Steam in value 20USD or 1 year GD subscription
Editor choice = in case there would be a game that I really like but didn't make it into the top 3, The developer can choose any title from Steam in value 10USD.

It would be the plan.
Let me know if you have any thoughts, ideas or just say +1 if you are interested in participating with the rules described above.
I'll do this Jam only if there is enough people show interest.

DO NOT SUBMIT YOU GAME YET!!!
I'm going to let everyone know here by the end of this month if we are doing this, I'm only checking now how many people would be interested.

In case you are interested to participate, let me know in this topic if there is enough interest, I'm considering to start the Jam on 01.01.2019 and close submission on 30.01.2019 and announce winners around 04.02.2019.
Last edited by ddabrahim on Thu 6 Dec 2018, 00:05, edited 3 times in total.
By ddabrahim
I'm not interested in using game templates

GameTemplates is my itch.io account that plan to use to host this jam and you don't need to use templates just saying it free to use. If you want to go original, cool but remember it must be open-source under MIT.

I'll wait for a game jam strictly focused in original content

On itch.io almost every day someone start a game jam so I guess that should be no problem :roll:
By erdo-dp
ddabrahim wrote:GameTemplates is my itch.io account that plan to use to host this jam and you don't need to use templates just saying it free to use

Ok, so the game jam is called Gametemplates but it's not about that. Get it. What's the theme?

Now, even if it's not necessary to use a template, I prefer to compete in a jam that encourages participants to use their creativity and try to achieve the best possible original content during the jam lapse.

ddabrahim wrote:If you want to go original, cool but remember it must be open-source under MIT.

That's great.
By erdo-dp
ddabrahim wrote:
I'll wait for a game jam strictly focused in original content

On itch.io almost every day someone start a game jam so I guess that should be no problem :roll:

Not neccesarily about games made in GDevelop. That was the whole point of the game jam in the first place.
By ddabrahim
I prefer to compete in a jam that encourages participants to use their creativity

Dah, every game neeed creativity, and all game jam is about original games, I don't expect anything else.
The Jam will be hosted by GameTemplates and you are free to remix any of the examples and templates, is that really that confusing?

That's great.

But you don't want to participate... :?
That's great :lol:
By erdo-dp
ddabrahim wrote:But you don't want to participate... :?
That's great :lol:

Erhmm... yes, I said "that's great" to a specific characteristic of the game jam. I also made clear the reasons I don't want to participate in this game jam; and in fact, they aren't mutually binding opinions. I mean, given a judgment on an element of a system (in this case the organization of a game jam), the judgment itself does not necessarily affect the overall evaluation of the system. If not, I would be incurring in a cognitive bias, which is illogical.

Anyways, and as I said since the beginning: good luck to all!
By ddabrahim
as I said since the beginning: good luck to all!

Thank you :)

I have created a new post for a different Jam based on your feedback: :)
viewtopic.php?p=69239&sid=6ce53d2588c01e067a8d8d9b379dfd67#p69239