Quick - Dead, A Western Showdown [WIP]

This modified first post is to showcase my first game in GDevelop, Quick - Dead… It is a western showdown and it is still in testing phase…

meviportal.thats.im/duels13/

It is an HTML5 game that plays in computers… I have included the controls for mobile but I have not yet managed to make it work the way I want it…

Try it and let me know what you think…

First you select your player…

screenshots480a.jpg

As the instruction mention, you have to wait for the countdown timer to finish in order to draw [space] your pistol… If you try to draw earlier the timer will reset and it will impact your score since it is dependent on the total time it takes to win…

screenshots480b.jpg

As a hint, a hit at a certain point in the heart or in the head will result in instant death…

After the duel you have the option to enter your name and the game will upload the scores online… (it took me about 3 weeks to manage to make it work while following the online hiscore tutorial)

screenshots480d.jpg

And that’s all for now… you can see all the hiscores in this site…

meviportal.thats.im/duels13/GD/Hiscores.php

Things that still need to be done:

• Complete the mobile experience… At the moment if you play the game on mobile you have the touch controls but for some reason it does not move to the final scene where you can save your score…
  • Finish a more appropriate music… The background music is my own but i dont think it is suitable for the theme of the game…
  • Make up some kind of story…

I figured out the instructions part so I updated it along with extra animations…

meviportal.thats.im/DUELSQD/

Again, if you try it, let me know what you think…

It sure is western style! :slight_smile:
It looks great for me. So, this scene is (or gonna be) part of a game project with more scenes in it? Or is a single scene/project?
The animations are great but i found the mouse movement a bit dificult to lock the target. I know the movement of the mouse it’s suppose to be challenging but seems way too hard to “control” it… And much of the times i get killed by the enemy because i can´t even see the mouse object in the screen. What events are you using for the mouse object and mouse movement? And this is GD5 right?
A couple of sound effects could enhance the scenario too, example, the reload of the gun. I like the font used, very western indeed!
Keep up the good work!

Thanks for the feedback…

I don’t know how it will proceed… I was in the process of making a GTA2 style top down western shooter and i used the models i had made in blender to make this showdown in order to clear my head… I guess I could proceed with making it a separate game with various character selection, or i could merge it with the shooter to make it a boss style fight scene…

This is why user feedback is important… I hadn’t even thought of keeping the crosshair within the scene bounds… The targeting system is hard to control on purpose, however I can lower the damping to make it easier… Or I could make it a variable that will make it easier for every time you win (as you are gaining experience) while making the enemy faster…

Also if you noticed a shot in the head or the heart will be an instant kill…

It is made in GD4 actually… I haven’t gotten around to playing with the GD5 yet…

I have already written and recorded the soundtrack for the shooter along with the sfx for the weapons… I will add them in a later version…

Again thank you for the feedback and I am glad you liked it…

Hey!

Both options seems great. Im not familiar with your previous project but im sure the boss style fight scene will work great in that same project. But i also like the idea of taking all this and making it the “ground level” of a new game project. I like a lot this idea, indeed!
Naturally, this is only an opinion, nothing more than that, of course. :slight_smile:

So, just some more random input here, and let´s assume this is (or will be) an independent single project, the “ground level” thing i just said above.
There are a lot of tips/suggestions/ideas/younameit, to make of this a great and fun game/project.
Check this out, mate:

• 2 different Players to choose in the main menu (female or male);
  • Increasing level of difficulty during game progress (you start with 6 rounds [as it should be with a Colt 45], more control over the crosshair/mouse, faster main player movements, low enemy character movements, etc, etc…).
    Then, as the levels progress, you can make some changes (5 rounds of bullets only, less control locking down the target with the mouse/crosshair, enemy character action gets a bit faster and faster, etc…, etc…)
  • FX effects. Looking at your guns, both characters are using the classic Colt45! :slight_smile: But the enemy is far away from you/user so when both fire that Colt the sound should be the same but under different volume levels: enemy, far away from user, should make a low volume sound. The main character, when left mouse button is pressed, should make a good fire sound, but still, not too noisy!
  • Bonus levels. After “killing” 2 or 3 enemies the scene could go to a Bonus Level Scene. Something like shooting at static cans over a classic western fence, under a countdown clock, or something like that, for score purposes only and/or for/gather some special itens.
  • When you hit the enemy you should get a reaction from the enemy, something like a change of enemy opacity or similar thing (together with the red round object [blood] you already have there). Probably a FX effect here too??
  • More Score/Points. Hitting the enemy heart or head for instant death is nice! That should give you more score (a global Score variable may be good for this in order to track all the score between scenes/enemies).
  • Etc, etc, etc…
    Like i said, these are just some ideas or suggestions. :slight_smile:
    Cheers!

I am currently working on two more characters (at least for now) to be selectable…

With your suggestions I imagined a kind of Street Fighter 2 game where you choose one character and duel with the others…

I made the crosshair to stay within the scene boundaries, i lowered the damping value and added a background image…

I also moved it to a different free web server that has mysql so i will try to implement the Online High score tutorial… I am working on it right now…

meviportal.esy.es/duels01/

Yes, that’s exactly the type of game i was thinking of and that’s a game style that could work very well here.
All those improvements you made are great! There’s no need to make a million things to turn a game into a good game. We just need to make quality things…
By “things” im talking about quality objects, smoothie overall game perfomance and game mechanics, a bit of good creativity and imagination to put into the game stage, etc…

A bit busy now but i will play this new version later more.

Excellent game, even if it lacks sound effects?
Still really good.

I have to do even more practice because I die too quickly, however really original and cute concept.

I am glad you like it… I am working on saving the highscores online like in the tutorial right now, so the next version i will upload will also include the sound effects…

Again thanks for the positive feedback. I will upload soon the next version…

I have updated the first post to show the newer version of the game…

The link is meviportal.thats.im/duels13/