Green Boy

Hi everyone,

I’m here to share with you a project that i’m working with some friends. It was initially a college work, but we’re thinking on make the rest on vacations.
The game for now it’s only in portuguese, has only 1 level and has some bugs in the menus, but this things will be changed.
It’s a classic platform game with no big differences to other games, but it has a kind of randomic genereted map. We plan to make new mechanics and an history.

Download link:
https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B_kdAMPYsS-Ld2NhTzlvZjFmYkU

Very well designed. I like the art and the platform pieces that falling apart was unexpected and make it fun to play.
I’m looking forward to see this game finished though you might want to consider to make it using the web platform instead. It is constantly crashed on my Win 10 machine, run it in Win 8 compatibility mode seem to fixed the problem but it is not a good sign and I don’t think the native platform is going to be maintained much longer as 4ian is focusing on the web for now.

Thanks for the compliments. I thought of making it in the web platform, but unfortunately, there are plugins in native that are important for what I want to make. I’m confident that I can make this work without the crashes with native, but if not, I’ll try to think on solutions for using the web platform.

Nice game, I really like the art style.
This is already one of the best looking games made with GD.

Why do you think the native platform will not be maintained much longer? It currently has way more features than the web platform and as 4ian stated it is only the GD5 IDE which is based on HTML5, the underlying code is still the same as in GD4. I guess it will take quite some time until we have feature parity between native and web.
If the game crashes on Win10 you should create a bug report on github.

4ian is more interested in web technologies and the native platform has compatibility and stability issues since day 1 especially on Linux and Mac… For many reasons it would be more logical to drop the native codebase, it is not very good also feels outdated compared to competitors and for a single developer it is difficult to maintain for multiple platforms.
Of course it is pure speculation from my part, I believe 4ian did mentioned something about native export is planned to come in GD5 later but It is a decision that need to be made at some point.

I’m not the one who is making the game, a bug report would make sense if you can tell exactly what module or plugin or event cause the crash, also in many cases the codebase of GD got nothing to do with stability and compatibility problems, SFML got the bugs most of the times.