RPG Project

So I thought it would be time to make a “Devlog” for my RPG project. You can read about testing this rpg battle system here: [url]RPG Battle System Testing]. Latest post was about “Upgrade points” and what to do with them.

[size=150]What is this project?[/size]
Old school JRPG project that I “Accidentally” started. I was making regular JRPG battle system and then I encounter a huuuuuge inspiration boost and ideas began to fill my head so I began to make an another battle system aside.
Slowly this another battle system started to be “The number one” system that I want to develop further, so here I am, making a devlog post about JRPG project which include this “another battle system”.

[size=150]Story Short?[/size]
You play as a young man who want to be “The world champion” of the MMA someday. So the young man needs to beat opponents and climb from the smallest gyms to the biggest stadiums to achieve his dreams!

[size=150]The Another Battle System?[/size]
This battle system is inspired games like Lisa and Tekken franchise.
Player Vs Billy Work In Progress.png
-You use arrow keys and A,S,Q,W keyboard buttons to make Melee combos or Grappling moves. You need to make the attack combos in given time (2-3 s). Idea is that A and S represent legs and Q and W hands. Every move use stamina. Less stamina = less damage and more missing the attack.
-You can find “Attack list” in the battle menu where you can check both, melee and grappling moves.
In the attack list you’ll find only the moves you have learnt.
-You can use “Dodge” command that grows stamina back slowly. While dodging, defence is higher but enemy can attack 3 times before your next turn. Dodging is very important thing.
-“Items” are things that I’m not sure will I include them at all in the game. If there are items, there will be only potions and doping that boost stats.
-You can “Tap out” all the time you want and it works every time. It means you surrender and enemy wins.

You can find “First turn” meter in the battle menu. There you can see two meters, one is for enemy and one is for player. It is the competition between the player and the enemy, which begin the battle. Speed stat affect this.

[size=150]Striker or Grappler?[/size]
When leveling up you gain “upgrade points” which you can use to upgrade “Striking” or “grappling”.
Become a striker and you can do the most devastating combos and learn the best moves of the stand up game!
Or if you want to be the grappling master to do the most complex submissions and powerful takedowns!
It’s up to you what you want to be!

If you have something to ask, please ask! I’m sure I forgot to mention something… :unamused:

4 Likes

I updated battle system a little bit and add some explanations what to do so it is not so confusing how to make an attack etc.
What do you think?

https://youtu.be/3dB59JRYmf8

2 Likes

This system of yours is great!

I am planning to make an old school rpg in the next coming months after i am done with several modules for VoSS. I’ll be sure to give it a spin and perhaps mod it abit, as i have downloaded and messed around with your example for the Final Fantasy turn based combat you posted a while back.

my only complaint is that the event list is way to long and spaghetti-like atm. Probably the use of functions might trimmed it down abit, just a suggestion.

Please continue to work on it. :+1:

Hi audze and thank you!

Sounds great! I hope we see your rpg game progress in the future!

Yeah it is pretty messy and not polished too much. Functions, tweens and other things would make events shorter and more simple. But I don’t think I’m going back to polish or change anything in it. It is how it is and just like I wrote in the video: “This example idea is not to give you ready to use perfect battle system. But I hope it helps to get started!” :smiley:

I might publish my rpg project demo version soon, where people can test this battle system I’m working on.

1 Like

Excellent! Looking forward to it.

The challenge for me now is to try make your system as generic as possible, so that it can be called whenever there’s a combat encounter. As it stands now, it will be difficult and too exhaustive to execute for every single fight with different opponents and etc.

But that’s the strength of GDevelop5 now i think, there’s very little limit to what can be customized. Now i wished i had more time to do stuff :grinning:

It depends how you do the encounters. How I do it, is that I have only 1 battle scene and 1 enemy object that have different enemies in animations and that object have stats variables like attack, strength, defence etc.
I have variable called “What_Enemy”, and when encounter happens variable “What_Enemy” gives random number between 0-50 (Or how many random enemies you want).
Then in the battle scene at the beginning of the scene if the variable “What_Enemy” is 0 → do “enemy1” to animation of the enemy and then change it stats (object variables) . if the variable “What_Enemy” is 1 → do “enemy2” to animation of the enemy and then change it stats (object variables) etc.
Also you can easily change backgrounds and what kind of enemies in different areas you encounter. If you are in scene “desert” do variable “What_Scene” string to “Desert”.
Then if variable “What_Scene” string is “Desert” and encounter happens variable “What_Enemy” gives random number between 0-10. if variable “What_Scene” string is “cave” and encounter happens variable “What_Enemy” gives random number between 11-20 etc.

But yeah it could be a lot more simply to make if using functions and stuff :sweat_smile: I’ve just doing and testing too much things with this my rpg system that it feels so simply to me, I just can imagine how it feels and looks when someone else than me looks at the events :sweat_smile:

1 Like

Seems like a pretty solid battle system.
But the “first” turn meter is kind of redundant, in my opinion.

If it only determines the first turn of the battle, then the character with the higher speed will always attack first and then the meter is useless for the rest of the battle.
You might as well just have the character with the higher speed attack first without the use of a meter, you’ll even free up UI space. If you want to keep the meter just for flair, I suggest making a temporary UI that appears only at the start of the battle, then disappears when it’s no longer needed, to avoid unnecessary UI cluttering.

Thank you Big-Matt!

And thanks about your thoughts and ideas!
I have wrote:
You can find “First turn” meter in the battle menu. There you can see two meters, one is for enemy and one is for player. It is the competition between the player and the enemy, which begin the battle. Speed stat affect this.
It is kind of redundant as you said. If I cut it of it would also make battle start faster. But I don’t know… Maybe it is good to be there even just at the beginning and then disappearing when no longer needed.

I was thinking that maybe there will be a good advantage, some kind of “Ring control” or “Pressure” that activated if you get the first turn.

Test out the RPG project I’m making and leave a comment, follow the game and hit the like button! Thank you!:pray:
gamejolt: Game Jolt - Games for the love of it Or Itch: Working Title Dedroid by RapaGamez

2 Likes

Done and done. Keep it up :slight_smile:

Thank you for your support @audze!:pray:

1 Like

Making “Stunned” stat effect. Chance to get stunned grows when stamina gets lower. Higher lever strikers won’t get stunned so easily and will snap out of it sooner. (Not in playable version yet)