==> Vote for features on GDevelop roadmap on Trello.com <==

GDevelop has now a roadmap available here: trello.com/c/fUbDddaA

This board contains cards that are describing a new feature or an improvement over an existing one, as well as tasks related to GDevelop ecosystem (website…).
This “roadmap” is here to let people vote and comment on feature they would like to see in priority.
The forum is still here to let you suggest features and discuss about them: cards on the roadmap are added after discussions here.

Technical issues and bugs are still listed and managed on github: github.com/4ian/GD
Finally, note that it is not guaranteed that anything on the roadmap will be one day be available! It’s just to let developers like victor and me know what is needed, to summarize what could be done and get a global view of the most important feature. So don’t forget to vote and comment on the features you would like to see in GD! :smiley:

3 Likes

I subscribed and voted. :smiley:

looking forward to more options to vote for.

1 Like

Saw those John Smith votes? That would be me. Didn’t feel like using my real name for google.

1 Like

Great stuff!

1 Like

Great! :sunglasses:

1 Like

trello.com/b/cjGenIIP/export-mo … r-gdevelop
Where I have posted some of my ideas for future features. :smiley:

1 Like

Why another trello board instead using the GD one?

As an open source software, it’s almost impossible to support PS4, XBox One, Switch, etc. because their closed nature, the SDK’s are private, and you have to pay to get access to them (a license), aaaaaand you can’t share code related to their SDK anyway :unamused:

For the typewriting, you can search here in the forum:
[url][EXAMPLE] Type-on effect [updated v2]]
[url]How to make the Text Automatically typing?]

1 Like

I am more than happy to pay for the license and sdk and all the things needed to get those export modules and I can see this getting as popular as commercial products like game maker studio 2 and construct 2 if we oh I don’t know set the bar for a Xbox export module to $120 each license and PlayStation to $240 for a license and all three for $360 including iOS and android and Mac and Linux and windows and html5 as a extra bonus but in the freemium package you get iOS and android and Mac and Linux and windows and html5 for free. Also the ability to import 3d models. Oh and thanks for linking me to the typewriter text effect topic. :smiley:

1 Like

It is not that simple. As Lizard-13 mentioned the SDK is not allowed to be used in open-source projects so unless 4ian going to launch a closed source version of GD, it is simply not an option. But I still believe it should be the way to go. Have a free and open version and a paid and closed version that build on top of the free and open but 4ian is more interested in offer paid online services.

What you also need to consider is that, in order to publish a game to game consoles you need to pay developer license fees which I don’t know how much but not cheap but the real expensive part is that you need a developer console which normally cost thousands of dollars. So you won’t be able to just export and run on any console but the developer console and I don’t even know how publishing and DRM works on the consoles but I would imagine it would be also a lot of money. Maybe the only exception is the XBOX, my understanding is that which may be wrong, I did not look in to this in detail, Microsoft do or did open up the console and allow anyone to publish apps and games on the console using the UWP format which is the new universal windows format that runs on any Windows device including the XBOX. So 4ian may be able to add UWP export and then we could use that after switching the console in to developer mode to run it on the XBOX, publishing may still cost some extra money though. But the PS and Nintendo support would cost a lot of money. Not hundreds but thousands of dollars.

Game consoles are the biggest market of the industry, you can’t push any sort of crap to that market and in order to keep the quality high the costs and requirements are high too.

For this reason there was some attempts to make open consoles that anyone can publish their games on, but unfortunately none of them become a success. If you want to target consoles your best option is Android, there are same game consoles running Android. They are not very popular but exists and since most of them are using the Google Play Store, all it takes is to make sure the game works with their controllers and your game is optimised for the resolution the console is using. And as I mentioned may also worth to look in to XBOX if you really want to play with the big guys.

Really then answer me this, how come game maker studio is capable of PlayStation and Nintendo Switch and Xbox? If you want to play with the big boys you gonna have to get deep and dirty in the development business in other words many companies have made freemium products that have all been shut down due to being out of money and in the big leagues face it, if you’re not making money you crumble to atoms and go bankrupt. So what you’re doing is nice yes, but let’s make the freemium like a trial of the full program which gets features like Xbox sdk and then a few years down the track, PlayStation, and then Nintendo Switch.

1 Like

They have the SDK integrated which is legally not possible with GD and you can buy it to export but in order to run the game you export. you need to pay developer license fees and you need to buy a developer console from Sony and Nintendo, I believe the XBOX can be turned in to developer mode once you have a developer account or may not even that required. So the XBOX may be less expensive but the PS and the Nintendo going to cost you thousands of dollars only to run the game you made, and to publish the game so anyone can run it going to cost even more. That is all I’m saying.

The “big boys” are spending millions on their games, honestly if you want to use tools like GD, I doubt you got the money. Maybe you have a good game idea and I understand you may want to publish to consoles, but again, to do that it would cost thousands at least in case you got the money, the dedication and the idea I doubt you would be using GD. But in case you make a really good game maybe you can find a publisher to get your game ported over to the consoles it would be not done by you, but it would be still the game you made except normally the publisher take the control over and the game released on the console may be nothing like the game you made depends on what sort of contract you make…

The bottom line is, the game you export from GMS or any other tool, won’t run on anything other then a development system which cost a lot of money on it own to get, in order to let anyone run it, you need to publish the game but I don’t know anything about that part but definitely not that simple as pressing a button in GMS to export a signed copy or something. Have you ever seen a PS, XBOX and Nintendo game that you can download from 3rd party websites and run on the PS, XBOX and Nintendo without hacking? I haven’t.

So all I can say is that if you already know that you want to develop games for the consoles your best options right now is Unity, UDK and GameMakerStudio, don’t expect GD going to receive this features over night.

It is something the current community would go against. The trouble is, 90% of people are using GD simply because it is free, in case it would be not free most people would go with Construct in my opinion. It is very unfortunate the two product is so similar at least from the outside. So turn it in to a paid product by tomorrow would be suicide. We need features first that would be not available in the free version but 4ian need to be interested to make a paid version in the first place.

EDIT://
In case you got the money to publish a game on the consoles, may be you can hire 4ian to implement the SDK for you!
You can find his contact info on the bottom of the main page.

I would like to correct my statement. I have learned only recently, It would be possible to add console support but it cant be public of course. If 4ian would decide to add PS, Nintendo or Xbox support in the future, 4ian could work with Sony, MS and Nintendo to make GD available through their developer channel. This is actually how MonoGame is available for consoles. Once you are a registered developer you can request the MonoGame SDK for free, through the developer channel at Sony, Nintendo and Microsoft. It is free and open-source but available only to registered developers through the developer channel and can not be shared and accessed outside the developer program even though it free and open-source.

I don’t know if it open to any development tool out there or the console giants decide if they want to make something available to their developers through the developer channel or not, I don’t know. But MonoGame is the evidence, it is totally possible even for a free and open-source engine to add support for game consoles.

I believe there are 2 features I would like to see the most in GDevelop. One is multiplayer support, the second is an action that has to do with screen resolution.

Multiplayer support seems to be on Trello’s roadmap already, although with little support (will make an account there just to bump it :smiley: ). One detail of multiplayer that I think is important is that it should be able to make the owner of the game easily create servers and easily access servers as well. Programs like the Internet Doom Explorer could be taken as a basis. Anybody can make and join servers there. Leave the ping to the individual users. This way multiplayer is free for everyone.

Now I’ll try to explain what kind of action I would like to see in GDevelop regarding screen resolution:

I’m using GDevelop to create a game for PC (although I wish I could make games for consoles as well, but ddabrahim has already laid the difficulties with that). PC users have a wide array of screen resolutions, so even after finding the most common resolution (1920x1080, aspect ratio of 16:9), there are still people that could have the experience ruined due to the game looking too small. For this reason I would like to propose and action that could be called “Optimize Fullscreen”.

This action would get the largest dimension possible (either width or height), and enlarge it to this maximum dimension and keep aspect ratio at the same time. This way, with only a single action, developers could be certain their games would be displayed at the largest possible size on the many different screens, for PC and even Android.

1 Like

Trello:

Is it possible to add own ideas / feature-requests to the GDevelop Trello ? If yes, how to do this ? Is somewhere any tutorial for that ? Thx.

1 Like

There’s a card to discuss new features (first column), comment about the feature there. Then if a mod finds it interesting will add the card :slight_smile:

1 Like

Aaah, ok. Thanks … got it now ! :slight_smile:

1 Like