Overworld map navigation / snapping?

I’m looking to do a Mario style overworld map - with snapping between each location.

The snapping part is what I’m struggling with - is there any easy way to allow for that type of movement?

Hypothetically based on the attached mario map I want …
RIGHT - animate snaps character to first level. After that…
> RIGHT - goes to next level on right
> UP - goes to level above.

I have an idea of how to do this with minimal levels - but the idea of branching paths and multiple levels seems extremely difficult and time consuming. Any ideas to simplify snapping while still having object movement from one spot to the next?

Thanks guys!!!
map.jpg

You make a good question. So, you make me wonder how it can be solved.

I’m working in a system based in a linear distance calculation between the character and every nod. So it will smartly choose to move to the nearest nod in a direction.

If I get something functional and efficient soon I’ll be replying here.

see link-

Lizard-13 just updated an RPG movement solve which does the trick (haven’t been able to make it work on my end… but it works on his example.0

BIG THANKS TO LIZARD-13.

Cool, mine solution wasn’t grid-based.

The only thing I haven’t been able to figure out is how to handle collisions with this system.

I use “Separate Two Objects” using the collision map of the environment (that was used in the isometric version) - but with Lizard’s system it doesn’t work - any collision just locks up the player - sticking him to the wall.

If you’re using RPG movement, you have to set a virtual grid system and move all your sprites based on this grid. Then you can be aware if two objects are placed in the same cell, therefore they are colliding. You can even foretell if that is gonna happen in the next movement and then cancel that action. That’s how it works.