Ask here your questions to get help using GDevelop.
By Jubeliuksen3
#67972 I was wondering if I make "a small example game", that can be play through in like 15-30min.
I would make "a video serie" to my youtube channel about making that game.
And I need your help to make this happen!

What I need:
-Genre
-Game mechanics
-Story of the game
-Graphics (free art, example from opengameart or even better: community makes art!.... Or me if have to...)
-Music and sounds
-Etc....
So basically everything what game needs, but I'll make it and for you and for me it would be very educational journey.
Of course when game is finished, I share it for you!

And I know everything in that list won't happen so even genre and some game mechanics would be nice.

Yeah I could do this alone but I think this would be much funnier way to do it! :D

So what do you thinks guys? Fire me with your ideas! 8-)
By Lizard-13
#67973 I can help with the graphics, concept art, share some ideas on how it will look like guys (pixel art?). And of course let me know if you have any trouble with a mechanic ;)
By Jubeliuksen3
Lizard-13 wrote:I can help with the graphics, concept art, share some ideas on how it will look like guys (pixel art?). And of course let me know if you have any trouble with a mechanic

Thanks dude! I think the pixel art (surprise :lol: ) is the one and only way! :D
By Jubeliuksen3
ddabrahim wrote:Maybe I could help with some events, send me a PM if I can help with anything.

Thanks! Sure I'll do that!
By Lizard-13
#67989 Just some ideas:
* Classic platformer with some hack&slash.
* Top down survival, recolect resources in a lost planet to return, of course there are swarms of monsters, worse each day.
* Repair survival, you have to spend your time correctly between repair an important object, upgrade, collect money, everything while each day more and more enemies come for you.
By ddabrahim
Top down survival, recolect resources in a lost planet to return, of course there are swarms of monsters, worse each day.
Repair survival, you have to spend your time correctly between repair an important object, upgrade, collect money, everything while each day more and more enemies come for you.

Yeah, could do something like the opening scene of No Man's Sky. Crash landed on a planet, the ship engines damaged and fuel is lost. Need to collect resources to repair the ship and find fuel to get off the planet. Could also be that the ship is damaged beyond repair but there is an other faulty ship so we need to fix that one up by collecting resources and carry the parts of our ship over there using an inventory, limited or unlimited.... As we carry the parts could fight some monsters just to make the travelling fun. Could also add some monsters that comes for the ship during the night. Day time collecting, crafting, repair night time tower defence around the ship we are fixing. Or similar to Riddick, if we launch the ship then monsters coming so we need to play a little tower defence only during the launch at the end as a closing scene if we fail at this point, game over.
Could also make it so after certain amount of time monsters are coming anyway for the ship or when we launch the ship, or a storm is coming in X amount of time and game over if we late but then monsters coming if repair done and trying to take off...
Could also add a leader board to see who was able to get off the planet faster, since it would be an example/tutorial for the community, 4ian could host it maybe?...Don't know.

Music:
We can definitely use the musics shared by Eric Matyas. His got some really good songs. Only need to credit him...
http://soundimage.org/

Sounds:
FPS Creator does have some decent sound effects which is free to use. Including it for none commercial purposes should be fine.
https://github.com/TheGameCreators/FPS-Creator-Classic

Sprites:
being a top down pixel art I'm sure it would be relatively easy to do and find staff.
We could also make it sort of like a flat isometric style.
image-800.png
image-800.png (9.17 KiB) Viewed 254 times

Not nice but fit the purpose and it would allow us the mix side scrolling platformer, isometric and top down view assets. It doesn't need to perfectly fit.

I do also own AssetForge, I could make some simple assets with it in minutes even isometric ones and by reducing the resolution could make it look pixel art, not nice of that but would be pixelated :lol:
https://assetforge.io/

I can recommend this tool to anyone, really awesome.
Last edited by ddabrahim on Wed 5 Sep 2018, 17:11, edited 1 time in total.
By Jubeliuksen3
#67993 Great ideas, I have to check that No man's skys opening scene! I like about that top down survival theme. But like @ ddabrahim said, it could be more like "a flat isometric" style, or something like this:
ytQsaLZ.gif
ytQsaLZ.gif (2.26 MiB) Viewed 248 times

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D6wC0KoWVME

Music:
We can definitely use the musics shared by Eric Matyas. His got some really good songs. Only need to credit him.ű

Absolutely! There are also pretty good music and sound effects for free with CCO license: https://opengameart.org/users/subspaceaudio

Could also add a leader board to see who was able to get off the planet faster, since it would be an example/tutorial for the community, 4ian could host it maybe?...Don't know.

Leaderboard would be pretty nice thing to add. I think 4ian don't have the time host this kind of small project, but I hope when game is ready 4ian could take the lead or something :D
By ddabrahim
it could be more like "a flat isometric" style, or something like this:

That is looks great but it is certainly going to be more complicated than flat level design.
I think would be better to start with a flat design if it coming together nicely, only then switch to isometric.

I have to check that No man's skys opening scene!

Well, it is an open-world game and you start on a planet with a broken ship and you need to mine resources to craft the items to fix the ship for take-off if you want. If you don't, you can explore the planet and you may find an other ship even...

I think 4ian don't have the time host this kind of small project

We don't really need his time but a place for a database that we can read and write :lol:
We can actually do the server part locally but then going to need a web server somewhere.

I hope when game is ready 4ian could take the lead or something

Ahm, if 4ian really wanted he could have been making a game anyway but he got paid even for his cat game. If you remember he raised something like 100k USD or EURO for making that game so.. taking the lead, for free...not so sure. :evil:
But a place for hosting the database for leader board, maybe will see when/if the game will be ready to publish :)
Could share it on GitHub under MIT, then it is more likely 4ian will be interested to host it.... Some people then could also contribute down on the line in the future.
By Jubeliuksen3
That is looks great but it is certainly going to be more complicated than flat level design.
I think would be better to start with a flat design if it coming together nicely, only then switch to isometric.

But that is kind of a flat design in that game. It looks more complicated than it is. But I don't really mind how the game looks :D Flat design is easier to do.

But a place for hosting the database for leader board, maybe will see when/if the game will be ready to publish :)
Could share it on GitHub under MIT, then it is more likely 4ian will be interested to host it.... Some people then could also contribute down on the line in the future.

Yeah that would be nice.

Where are all the people who needs help with GDevelop! We need your ideas! Don't be shy!