Platformer with Super Mario style features

Hi everyone. GDevelop 5 is fantastic! you are doing a great job. I am aware that GD5 is not currently complete for productive use, but I have some interesting questions:

[1] I want to implement block breaking in my super mario style platform game (including blocks with the question mark that drop items). is it possible to do this through events? or do I have to wait for the final version of GD5 that will have specific events for this purpose? I refer to the particle system.

[2] I noticed that the compilation takes up a lot of space, mainly due to the packaging of dependencies right? in the future it will be possible to save a good percentage of memory for the executable? for Windows systems it’s not a problem, but for android yes! on Google Play the maximum allowed for an app is 100 mb (if I remember correctly).

[3] I really like GD5, it is written in js so in the future it will have many interesting extensions. Are you going to implement a system to make games in isometric visuals? would be great! improve and simplify the creation of a Super Mario style platformer, Point adventures and click Monkey Island style?

[4] The tutorial to create the Platformer game is incomplete! events for the player’s sprite flip are missing! it’s very useful and simple, but it’s an important step. I managed to insert a system of traps (rage game style, cat mario, trap adventures), using time event + trigger, but a simplified system would be convenient for applying traps through specific events. Probably publish a video tutorial to show what I did.The example game (Platformer) is very useful for reading and studying events! I understood why my player had problems in horizontal collisions! Thanks so much.

[5] GD5 promises very well, I would like a simplified system to make gameboy style shaders, 80s arcade cabinet, transition effects (player death and pixelated transition effect to do an example, step to the next level and more).

[6] Making game menus with an automated system, afterwards the user can customize the menu by inserting buttons, backgound and different sounds / music)

[7] I am of the idea that GD5 has enormous potential, in 2018 it makes no sense to write code to create a basic platformer game like Super Mario, or a shoot’em up with a side / top view, more advanced features can be implemented with js (via an integrated editor? and possibly a nice easy API for everyone).

The potential is really huge! GD 5 is ideal for making small 80s style mobile games, a genre that has come to light in recent years and is appreciated by many players. This makes GD 5 potentially great for designers, enthusiasts, and people with good ideas but who are not experienced programmers who can write an entire game using a framework.

Thanks for your attention, I follow your project with extreme interest (first with GD 4 and now with GD 5).

Yes it is possible, all you need to do is check collision with the block, compare position of player and the block at the time of collision, create 4 small blocks and the item in position of the block, delete the block, increase position of the blocks and the item on the y axis to make them fall down. You could use physics to do it, but in case all the blocks need to do is fall down and disappear, it would be overkill imo.

Regarding your other ideas, I don’t think any of that is going to be implemented. The full screen effect is something many of us was asking for a long time even for GD4 but still nothing. It would be indeed nice to have something we can customize to get different effects or to be able to select from a collection of effects to apply. Hope to see that one day.

Thank you for your answer. I managed to stop the blocks! in practice I divided the sprite of the block into 4 parts, I inserted the parts in the map using the grid (sprite 32x32 divided into 8x8), then I applied the particle system.

The strange thing? I want to make some invisible blocks, when the player hits the invisible block this appears! I used the “visibility” hide event and then hidden, but it does not work. Something escapes me I have to experiment.

I understood how to marry blocks with player colllision, move objects by activating levers, pilsants and more. It is not long before I finally create a base for my complete platformer.

GDevelop 5 has improved a lot, with the final version finally I can start all over again and finish my initial game. Thanks so much.

I assume you mean it hide the box but can’t make it visible again?
In GD each condition is checked multiple times a second and execute the actions each times if the condition was true.
You want to hide the block At the beginning of the scene and make it visible if the player colliding with the block.
If you add no condition or a condition that is constantly true when hiding it, the block will be constantly hidden, even if the player collide with the block and make it visible on collision, the next frame it will be hidden again.