Announcements, feedbacks and other discussions about GDevelop.
By ddabrahim
There can be a single floating "add" button, and when you click on it you can choose if you want to add a scene/external events/external layout!

It is sounds interesting, definitely worth a try and see if it works all places :)

Resources manager won't be deleted, but the goal is that new user should not need it

And how do you plan to make the current method and the resource manager work side by side? Because at the moment if you click on the add new animation frame it opens the file browser and when I click the resource manager it doesn't really do anything at least for now.

I think it would be nice when we click the add new animation frame button it would give us the option to open image from resource manager or load new image from local drive directly.

I understand where you want to go with this, but in huge projects with thousands of potential images, in my opinion all user get to the point when they want to and have to organize their images. The question is where should be the place to organize them. The file system, so the people must organize their images in to folders inside the project folder or it needs to be the resource manager so people don't need to worry about how the images are stored locally inside the project folder.
I think it need to be the resource manager especially if you want to allow people (new user) to open images from anywhere even outside the project folder and GD need to deal with it locally. So you either force even new users to mess around the file system to organize their images or let them organize their images directly in GD so they don't even need to bother with the project folder. I think the latter is more (new) user friendly.
By gnacca
4ian wrote:GDevelop 5 is based on the exact same codebase as GDevelop 4 so yes!
However, for now, only the HTML5 games are supported in GDevelop 5. Once it's working well, I'll add support for the remaining object types and native games.

But again the game engines (both HTML5 and native), the internal classes and tools handling the games, objects, events are exactly the same between GDevelop 4 and 5 so GDevelop 5 should be fully compatible.
In fact you can already open GDevelop 4 games with GDevelop 5 :mrgreen: As long as it's HTML5 games :)

Hi Florian, I tried to open an only html project but I had this alert "Unable to read this project. Please try again later or with another save of the project.".
Just to be sure that the project was html only I make an empty new one with version 4, saved it and tried to open with version 5 (beta5).
Where I do wrong?
Thx

Simone
By ddabrahim
I tried to open an only html project but I had this alert "Unable to read this project.

Is the project file is in JSON format? If it not, then you need to save/create the project as JSON. When you create or save the project just enter .json instead of .gdg
Simply renaming .gdg to .json is not going to work. The project need to be saved as json
By gnacca
ddabrahim wrote:
I tried to open an only html project but I had this alert "Unable to read this project.

Is the project file is in JSON format? If it not, then you need to save/create the project as JSON. When you create or save the project just enter .json instead of .gdg
Simply renaming .gdg to .json is not going to work. The project need to be saved as json

I'm not sure what do you mean "save/create as JSON".
Here's what I do: I create an html only project with my GD 4.0.92 Mac version. I save it empty as it is on desktop named "ciao.gdg".
After that I rename it "ciao.json".
I try to open it on GD 5b5 but I have the same alert "Unable to read this project. Please try again later or with another save of the project." :(
By ddabrahim
I'm not sure what do you mean... I save it empty as it is on desktop named "ciao.gdg".

save/create the project as "ciao.json" by typing .json instead of .gdg when you create the project.
Sorry, I don't know how to explain it any better :evil:
By 4ian
#63453 I've released beta6 (download it from the website: http://compilgames.net/) with support for creating groups, small tweaks in events rendering, support for events folding. :D
No changes related to the way + buttons are displayed, but I've added small labels on the left so that it's harder to miss them.

I understand where you want to go with this, but in huge projects with thousands of potential images, in my opinion all user get to the point when they want to and have to organize their images.

Mmmm Depends, on Lil Bub game, everything is organized in folders on the file system, and I don't have any virtual folder in the resource manager. I think it's more maintainable to rely on the file system for now. Anyway I'll implement the resource manager but later, for now I want to have it as transparent as possible.

Because at the moment if you click on the add new animation frame it opens the file browser and when I click the resource manager it doesn't really do anything at least for now.

It's unimplemented, I should maybe remove entirely the resources button for now.

Anyway, the general idea is that when you want to add an image, you should not worry about having to add images to a "resource manager" to whatever complicated things is used inside GD. You should click a button, choose where to find your images (filesystem, dropbox, Google drive, URL...), choose your image and that's all :) Users should not bother with having to organize their images inside GD - they have to organize their images the way they prefer using their favorite service. :) Even if there will be a way to access to the resources manager for advanced users or to replace an image with another or changing smoothing properties.
Later I'll implement loading images from dropbox/Google Drive/URL. For now only the file system is supported because GD is still mainly a desktop app before anything else. So it's something that'll come back in the future :)
By ddabrahim
Later I'll implement loading images from dropbox/Google Drive/URL.

When you get to this, would be great if you could look in to also making an offline version for Chrome OS so I can browse the file system and google drive to load images (or if you can add the functionality to the online version). I spend less time at my main desktop PC these days and I would love to use GD on my Chromebook if it not too complicated to achieve :)
In case you don't have a Chromebook and you don't want to invest in to one, you can try CloudReady which is basically Chromium OS:
https://www.neverware.com/
By gnacca
ddabrahim wrote:
I'm not sure what do you mean... I save it empty as it is on desktop named "ciao.gdg".

save/create the project as "ciao.json" by typing .json instead of .gdg when you create the project.
Sorry, I don't know how to explain it any better :evil:

Lizard-13 wrote:You can open a .gdg project in GD4 and do "Save As" with .json extension too, then you can open it in GD5.

Ah ok! I did it. Thank you all.
By 4ian
#63497 I've adapted and rewritten the existing Platform game tutorial for GDevelop 5 here: http://wiki.compilgames.net/doku.php/gd ... game/start

Feel free to improve it or create new pages (this part is not written yet: http://wiki.compilgames.net/doku.php/gd ... dd-enemies).
The plan is to make the tutorial more visible for new users directly from GDevelop 5.