GDevelop for Mac OS X

Hey everyone,

I recently got a Mac that I should keep for at least some months. It gave me the opportunity to compile and adapt GDevelop on it. :slight_smile:
After adapting the compilation process to OS X, the software needed some adaptations to make it usable on “Retina screens”. It’s done and most part of the software are working properly, except for some weird crashs when previewing native games, and internal compilation still need some work.

The plan is to release in the next weeks a version of GDevelop usable on Mac OS X, but surely without the native platform. The HTML5 platform is getting lots of interest these times so it should be ok for most new users, and it allows to release a working version soon, instead of waiting for me to struggle fixing the native platform weird issues.
I think it’s the best thing to do :slight_smile:

[size=150]So GDevelop on Mac OS X is not yet released but stay tuned![/size] :mrgreen:

I’ll update this thread and the website for the release! :slight_smile:

Yeah, I heard something about it…
Do you get a Mac so recently and have already GD compiled on it? Nothing to say… :neutral_face:

By the way, if you are still in New Zealand, good luck! :smiley:

gdevlop is a program like yo yo game maker and construct 2 it is very good :smiley:

Thanks!
I’m waiting for the Mac version :smiley:

How can i help? i am in OS X Yosemite.
ÂżCĂłmo puedo ayudar? tengo OS X Yosemite.

Puedes compilar el software para ver si hay errores y problemas. Todas las instrucciónes están en la página Github de GDevelop : https://github.com/4ian/GD
Cuidado, los nativos juegos no funcionan pero los HTML5 juegos funcionan.

(Lo siento por los errores, soy francés y empezo a hablar español)

Thanks, after work i will try to compile the program.
Gracias, llegando del trabajo intentaré compilar el programa.

I cant :frowning: , i need a tutorial or something to compile the programar, i get many errors.
No puedo, necesito un tutorial o algo para poder compilarlo, ya que obtengo muchos errores.

OX Yosemite.

I’m a bit confused regarding the Mac GDevelop release, apparently. I recently learned of the program elsewhere, and was excited about the idea of an open-source application like this (especially for the Mac), given that most other programs of this type either require you to rent their program (Construct), settle for a crippled free version (Stencyl), are pull a bait-and-switch combination of the two (Game Salad).

While the main GDevelop webpage says there is a beta Mac client available for download, the link takes me to this forum thread, wherein the only news is that there isn’t a Mac client available yet. So, is the webpage lying, or is the link broken, or what? If there is a beta executable available for downloading, I’d love to have a link to it. If not, that webpage perhaps needs to be updated to reflect that.

Regardless, thanks for keeping Mac users in mind when making this application, and I look forward to trying GDevelop out on my Mac, either now or in the (hopefully near) future.

–Chris

Yeah I was planning to release a beta version sooner but I got other things to do and the whole task wasn’t on my priority list anymore. Their is some glitches and bugs when launching previews of native games, I may have to disable previewing of native games, at least for the first version of GDevelop on Mac.
But on the other hand HTML5 games and the rest of the software are working perfectly so you’ll still be able to fully use it :smiley:

I’ll keep this thread updated when I release the beta for Mac. I’m also investigating how to make things available for the Mac App Store but it’s a bit tricky :slight_smile:

Thank you for letting me know. Honestly, HTML5 works just fine for my purposes (I have an odd little platformer game in mind I wanted to try assembling for fun); if there’s a compiled executable available that at least exports in that format, that’s good enough for me – and I doubt I’m the only one that feels that way. Any chance of sharing that here, even if it’s in pre-beta?

Thanks again for the work!

–Chris

Will share it soon, one week or so I think. I’ve been able to package it but make sure you’re running the latest Mac OS X version (Yosemite), I’ll probably won’t have time nor resources to support other versions.
If it’s not too buggy I’ll see if I can make it available on the website.

Great news! Thanks for taking the time to do so, I’m looking forward to it :slight_smile: .

–Chris

I’ve uploaded a version :slight_smile:
Please note that this is a very beta version, only HTML5 platform is supported and I’ve only tested with Retina screens.

You can download it from GitHub: github.com/4ian/GD/releases/dow … evelop.pkg
Please do not redistribute this version for now! :slight_smile: It’s only for us on the forum to do a few tests and see if you can have something working.

I also only tested it on OS X Yosemite. Make sure to have an up-to-date Mac to test on.
Any feedback is welcome! :smiley:

OS Version: 10.10.4 Yosemite

There seems to be a bug in the sprite object. When I create the sprite object, I add an image to the sprite from the image bank there is a large X image giving me an error saying invalid image. The image file extension is .png and don’t think I’m doing something wrong. A link to an image of the problem below.

Image: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B3dn31uyJG4WNFJvRndoZnZJVzA/view?usp=sharing

Thanks for this feedback. :laughing: Apart from this, can you use the software properly?

I’ll try to fix this, but seems that there is a bug in the underlying graphical toolkit used by GDevelop, so drag’n’drop is tricky to achieve. I’ll try to find a work around. :slight_smile:

I have not come across any other software bugs and the program runs fine. It is very usable.

Starts then stops for me. :frowning:

From the command line:

GDevelop IDE Launcher
Changing working directory to /Applications/GDevelop.app/Contents/MacOS/…/Resources
Starting GDIDE…
dyld: Symbol not found: OBJC_CLASS$_NSURLRequest
Referenced from: /Applications/GDevelop.app/Contents/Resources/./libwx_osx_cocoau_core-3.0.0.2.0.dylib
Expected in: /System/Library/Frameworks/CFNetwork.framework/Versions/A/CFNetwork
in /Applications/GDevelop.app/Contents/Resources/./libwx_osx_cocoau_core-3.0.0.2.0.dylib
GDIDE ended with code 5.

What version of OS X are you using? This problem might because you don’t have OS X 10.10.4 Yosemite.

Yay! Thank you so much for releasing the beta!

I’m running it on OS 10.10.4, and so far it seems relatively stable. I was able to reproduce the bug rd124p77 reported earlier, but I haven’t run across anything else major as yet.

–Chris