GDevelop games on extremely slow devices?

I got to thinking - one of the first things covered in the tutorial is the TimeDelta() functions, which scales operations according to how much time has elapsed since the last frame. As long as you have some minimum frame rate, like maybe 20fps, this solution works out.

But as I was thinking about this solution, I realized that if frame rates drop really low, that time delta will get very large, meaning that from one frame to the next, a lot of change can happen. Perhaps we just say that such low-end devices are essentially just not supported (especially since GDevelop seems to create games that are quite light-weight and responsive).

But, is there a way to have GDevelop essentially lie about the TimeDelta? That is, even though maybe 1/4 to 1/2 second of real time has gone by, have it return a TimeDelta as some minimum value still, like maybe 1/12, or 1/10 of a second, and just have the game run slower, but still render enough frames, slowly, so that the game doesn’t ‘skip’ too much of animations, motions, etc?

Maybe GDevelop already does this automatically?

GD has a “minimum FPS” property, if the framerate gets too low it uses this minimum framerate, slowing the game down. I think the new IDE still has no way to modify it, but you can edit it, open your “game.json” file in a text editor and search in the beginning (~line 28) the property “minFPS”, the default value is 10 :slight_smile:

Great, that’s perfect. 10 is probably a good minimum frame rate in most cases.

Didn’t know about that. But this seems to be the reason why I only get 10-11FPS on Ubuntu Touch which currently has no WebGL support for the new browser.
Do you know the conditions that need to apply in order to make GD swtitch to the minFPS?
Even a 10x10 tilemap (16x16px) slows my test game down to 10FPS without any logic applied. This is strange since the phone itself should be able to do better even without GPU support.
On other Pixi based game frameworks the same small tilemap runs smoothly.