What are the limitations of GDevelop?

Sorry for necroposting to an old post, but I do have to agree, many of these limitations don’t exist anymore.

Back when this was posted, GD5 was still in it’s early betas, lacking many features and optimization techniques. Hell, we didn’t even have FUNCTIONS or TILEMAPS back when this was posted.

Nowadays, GD5 is a beast of an engine. It’s evolution was quite astonishing, as DOZENS of useful features were added in, on top of the fact that the engine is still being regularly updated by the devs and the community with extensions.

I will agree on the bad performance of mobile games, which leads me to assume that GD5 isn’t really optimal for mobile games at this point, which is why we need to help support it so that it can eventually can be a good platform for mobile devices. Obviously, one thing that would help would be Dragonbones, but… yeah… those plans kind of fell through. Although, the engine is still open sourced with the community helping improve it, so it’s not completely out the window.

And I know it’s beating a dead horse by now, but I don’t think it’s fair to compare GD5 to Godot and Unity based on what people make. I mean sure, they’re both superior engines, but as everyone else said, horrible games were made in those engines too.

A tool is only as bad as the person using it. If you really work hard on a game in GD5, especially nowadays with all the new features, improvements, and optimizations, GD5 is actually quite viable to make some great games. In fact, we actually DID get a good amount of impressive games with the engine as of lately.

It’s only up from here, GD5 is only going to get better as long as we all keep supporting it.

3 Likes

Folks, this is a post from 2018. Let’s not ping every person who has responded over the last 5 years with replying to it. Thank you.

2 Likes